Presented by Luke Wroblewski.
- In 1952, Don Stookey experimented on photosensitive glass at the Corning Institute. This was the first synthetic glass ceramic.
- Corning's Gorilla Glass is the same previously-shelved 0317 experimental product. It's now in 1.5 billion devices.
We care about [the display] because we know that's the window to the software. — Tim Cook, Apple CEO
- Online time is screen time. We need an intimate understanding of the screen.
Know Your Screen
- James Pearce's article, First, understand your screen
- Flurry's Size Matters for Connected Devices. Phablets Don't
- There's only a few full-sized tablets out there, but there are a lot of people using them.
- Medium-sized smartphones (3"-5" displays) are very heavily used.
- In the coming years, all the people on the planet will be interconnected and getting information from smartphones and other small, portable devices.
- Typical desktop computers ~100 pixels per inch
- First generation smartphones ~200 pixels per inch
- Apple's Retina dipslay = 326 pixels per inch
- Samsung's 441 pixels per inch
- LG Optimus Quad HD's 538 pixels per inch (2560×1440 is the same resolution as a 27" desktop display)
Mo' pixels, mo' problems — Dave Rupert
- Dave Rupert's The year we all go 4K
Maybe we shouldn't be so gung-ho about these fullbleed images.
min-device-pixel-ratioresolution media query
- In the US, 50% of downstream traffic is from YouTube and Netflix. Device manufacturers know this and are adapting their devices to match users' consumption patterns.
- All of the top 5 selling smartphones last year are widescreen aspect ratio devices.
- Trent Walton's Vertical Media Queries & Wide Sites
- The Statamacist uses vertical media queries.
- Vertical media queries can be used to curtail The Myth of The Fold.
- Trend toward high resolution.
- Trend toward widescreen aspect ratios.
- Media queries know about more than width.
Any piece of glass you can't touch and interact with will feel broken. – Steven Sinofsky
- We're living in a multi-input world.
- Polar optimizes for touch and keyboard interactions.
Screen size is a poor proxy for input, but it's all we've got right now.
- Media Queries Level 4 include
pointer(with values of
- New media query properties will auto-update (for instance, if a keyboard is removed from the device)
- Support all the inputs
- Communicate what's possible (tell the user what they can do with different input types)
- Screen size is a poor proxy but it's all we've got
- "Posture" in this sense is how people interact with output and input.
- 83% of people view Netflix with a 10-foot viewing experience. 44% with a 2-foot viewing experience.
- Roughly 1/2" per foot increase in box art size on Netflix's various interfaces (phone, tablet, PC, and television)
- Google Glass' screen is equivalent to a 25" HD screen viewed from 8 feet away.
- Ergonomics play into design and layout of navigation and control elements on touch screens (based on how users typically hold devices).
- Media Queries Level 4 includes
- Design to human scale
- And environments
- Not to screen width
- Corning's Will Glass: Flexible glass that is thinner than a dollar bill.