Presented by Ethan Marcotte.
- Editorially: A completely responsive web application for social writing, editing, and publishing content on the web.
- Build a grid system off the needs of the content.
@mediato defend your content.
iPhone transactions more than doubled. Android transactions more than quadrupled. — Electric Pulp
- In 2009, the average pageweight of a site was 320KB. In 2013, that’s ballooned up to 1.4MB.
- Mobile Internet usage in Bangladesh exploded 900% in 2011 thanks to deregulation in the market.
- In Africa, more people have access to a mobile device than those who have access to electricity.
- Half of Kenya’s GDP moves through mobile transactions.
Sustainability in Web Design
- Responsibly design in a way that promotes future growth.
Reduce and Revisit
- Chris Zacharias’ Page Weight Matters about YouTube’s “Feather” prototype pages.
- Responsive Design on a Budget from Clearleft
- Filament Group’s grunticon
- dContsruct’s 2012 website’s art direction was led by JPG compression.
- BBC’s Cutting the Mustard test determines whether a user’s browser is capable enough to receive the enhanced version of a site.
- Using Mustache templates and a Rails application to share templates between the front-end and the back-end.
- Assumes a device is touch-enabled by default:
<html class="touch">. Conditionally remove the class if touch is not supported.
What works is better than what looks good. The “looks good” can change, but what works, works. — Ray Eames
It’s time to redefine what beautiful means on the Web. It’s time for The New Beautiful.