Presented by Jeremy Keith.
The Origins of Text
- The development of language is what makes us human. This enabled us as a species to create civiliation.
- The Library of Alexandria: We don’t know what the world would look like today if it hadn’t burned down.
- Thomas Cahill’s How the Irish Saved Civilization
- Chicago police chief Francis O’Neill wanted to preserve traditional Irish folk music in America during the Potato Famine. Recruited pipers, fiddlers, etc. onto the police force. He collected them in O’Neill’s 1001.
- ABC notation: shorthand form of musical notation
- URLs are core to the Web, but most importantly, they are core to the Long Web.
URLs are the one universal syntax of the Web.
- Make URLs guessable and hackable. Let URLs be an interface element; an API.
- Pattern Primer
- Content first in the markup, navigation second.
- Use an anchor link in the markup to direct users to the navigation (e.g.
- On The Session, password fields are shown by default with an optional “Hide password” checkbox.
inputmodeattribute not generally useful yet, but the
patternattribute can be used with a
type="number"field to mimic the proposed attribute.
- Design trends come and go, but progressive enhancement remains.
- Jeremy’s Canvas Sparkline and Tom Ashworth’s sparksvg
file.svg?0,1,2,3,4). You can also have CSS and media queries inside of SVG.
- Use with extreme care and caution:
<link rel="dns-prefetch" href="...">and
<link rel="prefetch" href="...">and
<link rel="prerender" "...">
The Long Web
- Future Friendly acknowledges that the best way to be future friendly is to be backwards compatible.
- The Long Now Foundation promotes (incredibly) long-term thinking.